Body Facts: What is Accomplished in 24 Hours
The human body is an amazing machine. Do you know what it accomplishes in 24 hours? The following are some facts for an adult of average height and weight.
In 24 hours:
- Your heart beats about 100,000 times
- Your blood travels 168,000,000 miles
- You take approximately 20,000 breaths
- You inhale more than 2600 gallons of air through the lungs
- You eat 3.5 pounds (lb) of food
- You drink 2.9 lb of liquids
- You lose in weight 7.8 lb of waste
- You perspire 1.43 pints
- You give off heat at 85.6 F
- You turn in your sleep 25-35 times
- You speak 48,000 words
- You move 750 major muscles
- Your nails grow 0.000046 inch
- Your hair grows .01714 inch
- You exercise 7,000,000 brain cells with each thought
It pays to take care of this incredible machine with proper nutrition, water, and exercise. Do all you can to keep this machine in good running order. Remember, spare parts are not included.
Greene M. The human body - an incredible machine. Available at: www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16043.asp. Accessed March 2, 2009.
McMillan B. Human Body: A Visual Guide. Buffalo, NY: Firefly Books; 2006.
Restak R, Bechtel S, Daniels P, et al. Body: The Complete Human. Washington, DC: National Geographic; 2007.